13.11.13

PROJECT OF THE WEEK - HAND DYE AND FABRIC FLOWERS

flower power


A lovely friend asked me to make some fabric flowers for her so I spent two days creating a spring bouquet that I thought I'd share today as it is so gloomy in our neck of the woods. First I hand painted canvas with a mix of fabric medium and acrylic paint. I use drop sheet canvas rather than calico as it has more texture and a heavier weight.


Making fabric flowers is essentially the same process as making paper ones but with added durability. It is a lot slower too so you have to enjoy and embrace the process. I made bunches of these flowers to sell a few moons ago and I found it very tough going on the hands and heart. It's much nicer to make this as a gift.


I tried playing around with different shapes and styles to add more 'realism' to the bunch. I absolutely loved the yellow one but stupidly only painted enough for two flowers. My next project is to make a huge bunch of yellow ones for someone special.


You could make them as present toppers, wreathes, boutonnières, garlands. Nature, as always, offers the best inspiration. RAMONA 
ps -spot the gold stamens? they are from a millinery supply store and add a nice detail.

No comments: